My Epiphany: Waste

A few days ago I was watching TV when an insurance commercial came on. Let me tell ya, I had an epiphany and it had nothing to do with buying insurance.

Towards the end of the commercial, piles of crushed cars were shown, and I thought, “We’re doing everything wrong.”



People in the industrialized world make so much trash.

We live in a throw-away society. When something breaks or a newer model comes out, we throw out the old without thinking twice. Cars have only been around for about a hundred years and think of all the crushed cars and pieces of cars we so frequently see. Is that being responsible stewards?



I could research waste and give you statistics, but I don’t need those numbers to tell me that something is wrong, and I don’t think you do, either.

When I was younger my mom was constantly reminding me to not waste food and recycle everything I possibly could. As I get older, it's clearer and clearer how important that lesson was. 

I realize that society and progress would be in a very different place without the transportation that cars give us. I also know I can’t make an impact if I change my own ways without telling anyone else. So don’t worry, I talked myself out of becoming Amish because that wouldn’t solve anything.

Think before you act. We have one Earth and we won’t get a free upgrade when this one’s worn out.



If you think that my argument is a slippery slope, consider this: we’re living the slippery slope of exponentially increasing waste.

(All of these pictures were borrowed, unlike my other blog posts that contain original pictures.)



Do you agree that we’re too wasteful? Do you completely disagree? Comment below and let me know what you think!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace & Joy & a Tattoo

Keep College Uncomfortable

Evacuate