Mines: One down, many to go

Some people use Youtube to learn how to play instruments, fix things around the house, or cook new dishes. If there was a category labeled “other,” that’s where I would be listed. About a year and a half ago, I somehow discovered a Youtube user who explores abandoned mines and uploads the videos.

I’ve subsequently watched way too many videos about mines, and even read a book or two on the subject. My obsession runs deep.

So, when my mom and I were on a just-for-fun road trip last week, we changed our plans on the fly in order to visit a mine. We were already farther from home than we intended to go, then drove two more hours to the mine. 



I typically shy from tourist attractions, but a mine is a different story. We were beyond thrilled by the time we reached the top of the winding, narrow road leading to the Soudan Mine in Soudan, Minnesota. There were several original mine buildings, and a huge headframe over the main vertical shaft. It was a beautiful, mild weekday without many other visitors. Having something fun to yourself makes it all the better.



A mere $12 per person got us a two and a half minute trip down over 2,300 feet in what I’ll call an elevator in the main shaft. The “elevator” we rode in was one the last miners in 1962 used to go to and from their jobs. It was ridiculously loud and rattled so much we had to hang on. It went so fast I actually thought, “If I die at least I made it this far into a mine.” I have no idea how we stopped at the bottom.



I’m sure I had a wide-eyed grin the entire time once in the mine. We rode in open tram cars on ore cart tracks about five minutes down a drift tunnel on the 27th level. It was cool, damp, dark, and absolutely amazing. 



There were two or three turns before the tram stopped beside a steep, narrow spiral staircase ascending 30 feet into the dark.



Up we went into an open stope the miners were working until the mine closed. The tour guide gave a quick history lesson and pointed out things in the stope. We went down a different staircase, rode the tram, and went to the surface in the elevator.

Right behind being in the mine, my next favorite part was the crusher house. Ore would be sent to the crusher, roughly processed, and put into waiting train cars. Being able to walk anywhere inside and around the crusher was an exciting surprise.

   



I caught the bug even worse than I had before. Let’s not think about the hours I’ve spent watching those mine exploration videos instead of doing important things, but rather, think about the thrill of exploring for myself. I only have rough plans, but don’t you worry, one day I’ll be flashlight in hand, walking down tunnels and climbing into stopes. Who's with me?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peace & Joy & a Tattoo

Evacuate

Are We There Yet?